Sunday 1 April 2012

West Timor-Indonesia!

So...tourism definitely hasn't hit West Timor yet!!I can't even purchase a postcard people! There are a lack of hotels to chose from and they are expensive for the condition of the rooms...but hey ho...that's getting off the beaten track as Moonface says! People seem genuinely pleased to see us here and are excited to practise their English with us.It's nice....but in all honesty I still struggle with being the only white face in town!
We decided to do a day trip to a smaller town called Soe...it is known for its traditional wood and grass huts and is very much an animist society. The bus there was extremely hot and long (3 1/2 hours) and when we got there the only thing to see was a local market which was very small. I got a bit grumpy (no surprise there if you have been reading the blog lol!) it seemed a wasted day to me....Charlie seems to have a much better mentality, he appreciated the journey there because we got to see lots of small villages and real local life! I guess he's right...its something I have to learn to notice a bit more!
After that things went a bit 'tits up'! We were supposed to be boarding a ferry to Flores. I was a bit nervous about a 7 hour boat ride in Indonesia to begin with but when I found out it was going to be more like 19-20 hours panic set in!!! It was time to board the boat so we started to walk down to the ferry...then I saw the boat....it looked a bit like this
No I'm exaggerating for comedy value (we can laugh about it now!) but lets say the boat wasn't in good condition 20 years ago!You only have to Google Indonesian ferry and look through all the results (90% depicting various sinking's and fatalities) to get an idea! Gut wrenching fear kicked in and i knew that I wasn't gonna be able to dig deep and get the strength to do that journey.A big failure on my part because the whole point of this trip was to test myself and push my boundaries! When your sitting at home and someone you know is off travelling the world you think its all parties and bumming around but when your actually doing it it's flipping hard work...physically,emotionally and mentally your tired (of course its all worth it) but at this time in the trip I felt like my battery was nearly at empty! So I have a big apology to give to Charlie because I ruined his trip in Indonesia (he has had to give up all but one of the things he wanted to see) instead we are flying to Bali (which he hates) and have had to hang around for 5 days until our flight (which bores him to tears) So once again I'm sorry babe..I really am!
We did get to see one of the biggest nights on the Kupang calender...a ciggarette company put on a party with a DJ from Jakarta and a dance competition,live band etc! Wouldn't say it would live up to party expectations in the U.K or even Brentwood for that matter but the locals had a great time and it was interesting to see!
So thats West Timor so far....we plan to head to the beach tomorrow and then we have our flight to Bali!

No comments:

Post a Comment